View Single Post
Old 05-02-2024, 02:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Macho View Post
Ok, thank you for your clarifications!

Doesn't seem like many folks from back in the day say much about the plates. Maybe with this option is was typical to see the plate and discard it because of the excitement of the new aftermarket unit going in?
I am guessing that you've nailed it there.
There was a discussion I was reading a while back (maybe on nastyz28.com ?) where an ultra-base 70-73(?) Camaro was being worked on - and it was a no-radio car;
It still had the "cover" under the dashboard speaker opening in place!!

Items like this (speaker cover) and the radio plate were surely thrown away the very moment an aftermarket radio was being unboxed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 78Macho View Post
So then, the current repop piece will fit my '79 dash but not earlier 2nd gen cars?
the radio opening enlarged in height for the 1978 model year for the newer GM radio's;
No one can say for sure that a 78-81 radio plate will fit a given car, because changing a dash is an afternoon affair (if you know what you're doing) - so there's no assurance that a (lets say) 1977 Firebird still has a "1977" dash.

I looked, but could not find the image I made some time ago comparing the size of the two faceplates;
I believe that the 70-77 part was able to fit within the edges of the 78-81 piece.
But even if you have a pre-1978 dash in your car, yours wouldn't be the first car to have hte bigger block off plate added.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)