View Single Post
Old 05-01-2024, 12:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

that seems like a darn fair price for that radio cover plate - thanks for sharing that!

I believe that one (#10001245; 78-81) is the exact same one which is reproduced;
The 70-77 one is a bit smaller and used part number 479381 - I do not believe that one is reproduced.

There is a local here whom I used to hang out with;
He is my source for some of my information, and I have taken his first hand experience as the basis of my prior post (I have read similar stories which echoed his first hand experience);
He special ordered a 77' 4spd Trans Am (iirc it was a silver over black deluxe interior car with the red(?) hood bird);
He ordered his car with the full intention of putting an aftermarket stereo in;
He was choked when he received his car, because it had a windshield without the antenna lead - to this date he has an antenna on the rear of the car.
He at the time didn't want to order a (very expensive for the time) windshield for his brand new car just to get the antenna lead in the glass - so he got a conventional antenna on the back of the car.
He said that when he ordered his car, he didn't realize about the 'radio accommodation package'.

The fact that the 'radio accommodation package' became a thing points to the fact that GM wised up, and could save a couple pennies on every car that was ordered without a radio - or could make up a little bit for cars specifically ordered without radios.

I do not know when the 'radio accommodation package' first showed up - I have understood (like your 70-72 GTO example) that the early second gen cars received windshields with the antenna lead in place;
I suspect that 1964-1968 GTO's only had the plate, because those cars did not have the antenna in the windshield - those cars used an antenna on the fender.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)