View Single Post
Old 04-13-2024, 10:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Honestly if you're going 121-123 mph, that car should already be in the 10's. That's easy 10.80's with a decent short time. That tells me that your short time is lacking and most likely the biggest reason why you're getting by with a mechanical pump at that HP level. Once you get that thing to launch like it should I think you'll quickly find out why I, Highway, and Cliff are telling everyone mechanical pumps are going to be an issue, and Cliff explained it pretty well in his recent post so there is no reason to rehash that.

If it makes ya feel better, you already have a 10 second car, ya just gotta work on that 60 foot.
I agree 100% it could or should be in the 10's, I mentioned the details on the car briefly before but try not to hijack other people threads with my cars info, this thread has surved its purpose for the OP so heres some quick info on my car & why its not in the 10's.... & I definitely dont just drive to the dairy queen!

Mainly its not a dedicated drag car or set up for drag use, I go to the track for fun on test & tune days just to see what my cars will do, the suspension isnt geared for drag use, its a very stiff PTFB kit more designed for auto-x use, so the launch & 60ft is far from ideal. I have to launch off idle & roll into the throttle otherwise the MT drag radials break free very bad & the run is lost.
It usually will do a full run and that gets 11.2-11.3's but 1-2 times out of 5-6 runs it will cut out some about half track but still pull high 11's. I am very happy with the times for this combo & really only expected to break into the 11s, but thanks for the encouragement, knowing there is 10's in it does make me feel better!

Just to be clear, I agree a good E-pump is best for this type of car at this power level, not trying to claim otherwise... my comments above are about the very vague statement that all mech pumps dont work, was just trying to clarify that they do work for the majority of average street cars below about 375-400hp. My current 78 TA proves that & so did my old 78 TA in the 90's with a mild cam 455 & 3.90 gears that ran with or beat cars that came direct from the dragstrip with mid 12 time slips, it had stock type pump & lines but had a holley double pumper. Mech pumps do work... it all depends on the car/engine.

Last edited by 78w72; 04-13-2024 at 10:48 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post: