Thread: ram air hood
View Single Post
Old 03-20-2024, 11:07 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith k View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin View Post
Does anyone have a picture of a Formula hood that was on a relatively decent car - that has broken ?
I've never seen one broken from a hood hinge related incident.
Nope. Over many years of experience with these cars and talking to other owners, I have heard of no issues with the '70 hoods breaking like that, either.
This is precisely one of the points I was trying to make clear;
He was told this story, and now he's repeating it as though it's gospel.

Several of his assertions have no factual basis - they are only conjecture.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SD455DJ View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Held for Ransom View Post
I believe early in the '71 model year, there were leftover '70 hoods used.
That makes sense too Mike.

Dennis
And yet after these posts - in spite of these two members (whom I hold in very high regard) agreeing on this point, he seemed to dig in his heels and again self-declare this as a 1970-only part.
It is absolutely a correct for 1970 part, but it is not a 1970-only part.

@ RAIV70TA;
I have no doubt that 'nacho has the best of intentions, but please take his assertions with a degree of skepticism.
This is not the first time he has created a thread and seemed to argue himself into a corner.

I recently sold the original hood to my car (I say original because of the paint layers all matching the rest of my car);
My hood needed extensive repair after an accident that I got in it with in 2002 - after which I took it off the road;
My hood, was assuredly unbraced - and mine car was built June 1970 (the date you shared was a little unclear; M/D/Y or D/M/Y).

In addition to the bracing present (not correct/original for 1970), the edges from the cast in place block off being completely removed from the hood opening (never done that nicely from the factory), it is also painted wrong;
Original body paint went to the sides with overspray along the ends of the underside - the rest of the underside should be a satin black like shown by 'SD455DJ' in posts #23 & #26, or 'tdavidl' in post #49.
Odds are that for what ever the reason, the hood was changed when it got a repaint.

I would love to hear more about your car.
Several years ago I went and looked at a red '70 RAIII/4spd Formula for a member here which was being sold a short distance for me... I really should dig out those photos and save them to my hard drive.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)

Last edited by unruhjonny; 03-20-2024 at 11:19 AM.