View Single Post
Old 01-26-2024, 01:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default opinion - 1992 Chev truck diffy

I have been mulling over posting this here;
I am a member over on GMT400.com - a forum dedicated to the GMT400 (GM lingo akin to "A-body") for the 1988+ "OBS" trucks.

I am posting this here because I'd wager that people here have a broader knowledge base than those who focus on one vehicle type built over a relatively short period of time.

I recently came across a "4WD actuator harness upgrade" for front axle;
I was intrigued by this, because recently the truck (4wd with 'G80'-Limited slip) has been acting generally as a 2wd truck with a "one wheeler peeler";

Where I have been recently parking it, snow and ice tend to collect under the rear drivers tire, and the truck won't just get up and move - only the one tire will spin - it's rather embarasing for a cool (to me) 4wd truck.

In my minds eye, with the limited slip, both tires should have drive power at any given time;
Also, if the rear tire(s) are spinning the front axle should also be spinning...
But it doesn't.

I would ideally like for the rear differential to act like the 12 bolt posi in my Firebird - I never once had just one tire spinning - EVER.
When I drove that car year round, it NEVER got stuck.

I would have to think that something is wrong with the front axle actuator, and I intend to get on this as soon as the snow goes away.

BUT

Can anyone offer advice on how to determine if the differential (some mechanically actuated posi) is kaput?

I have been paying close attention to the truck when my wife is pulling away recently, and on occasion the rear passenger tire will do a slow turn, or even more seldom, it will spin - but generally it just sits there while the drivers side spins and the truck goes no where...

If the posi setup is kaput, does someone have a recommendation of a better posi that I can replace it with (in the existing housing of course)?

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)

Last edited by unruhjonny; 01-26-2024 at 02:03 PM.