View Single Post
Old 10-28-2023, 04:18 PM
Senior Chief

I found another 400 on craigslist that posted today... It's a 76 which I know are not the most desirable blocks but sounds like it shouldn't need a lot of machine shop work... I asked several questions and his answers are below...

He was asking $1800 for both engine and transmission... However, I see ad is already gone so it may already be sold. But what do you guys think of a later 400 like this? It sounds stock and it has 6X heads... probably quite tame... ANY THOUGHTS?

1. Was rebuilt before I got the car , which I bought from second generation engineering shop in NJ right before Covid. Has rebuilt starter, rebuilt alternator , cam bearings ,timing chain,etc
2. I believe its bored 30 over
3. Pretty much stock
4. The rope seal leaks it’s 2 piece stock Pontiac and they are known to leak ,I would put a new one piece rope seal solve the leak issue. Doesn’t knock smoke or tick runs great. It has a Quadrajet on it I would change to Holley unit personally.
5. I removed it because my friend convinced me to go to a newer fuel injection LS motor which I still regret doing, I should’ve kept this drivetrain in cost me a lot of $ to changeover and now no going back.
6. Would like to sell the drivetrain as a whole.
Thanks for your interest in it any other questions let me know I’ll try and answer best I can