View Single Post
Old 07-06-2023, 05:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 400 4spd. View Post
I prefer NOS for anything electrical or steel. We have lots of failures with repro electrical parts, none with NOS electrical and steel parts. No such thing as quality control it seems. Unlike repro stuff, OEM parts didn’t go into the box as junk. I have a local old school rebuilder do all of my starters and alternators, even though I can buy “new” for less.
I have lots of old stock rubber items I plan to use, not worried about them yet.
Zero problems here with 45-50 year old NOS tie rods & ball joints & even SELECT very nice used components that are nearing 50 years old. That is exactly the the type of suspension parts that am using in own serious restorations, all of which will see some track time.

Years ago had a disagreement on another board with fellow who is a real "gem". Just another of the "HotRods to Hell" proponents. Extolling the virtues of total cr#p bodywork & drivetrain builds, while trumpeting buying new suspension kits & parts Amused me as I've sent back a bunch of new GM A & F-body suspension parts, brake parts, & rubber parts that were absolute poor quality import pieces. His view also encompassed nos & nors engine mounts "Ahh that's junk..." something to that tune. Found that contrary to my own hands on experience along with many other serious restorers. In direct comparison, the old stock mounts were of much higher quality rubber & steel construction than what was currently available. By that time, over a 15 year period, out of two neavy boxes, i had identified & sold off several dozens of pairs of new old replacement stock 60's/early 70's V8 engine mounts. All of those mounts were loose & had been stored since coming out of a GreenLight Auto store in 1977. To this date, have not had a single complaint from a single buyer, many have been, & are repeat customers.

Properly storing of any rubber or plastic part is of importance. That doesn't mean storing such parts in a tin grainery where the sun beats down & cooks everything . Similar deal storing rubber or plastic parts in attics where temps can hit 130 degrees.