View Single Post
Old 04-26-2022, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have a personal opinion that all the Youtube / Facebook stuff showing street drifting, drag racing, burnouts, has helped shift this into a public display thing. Ego and showmanship. A social media moment of glory. Also, again my personal opinion, but respect boundaries have changed socially from the old.

Two years ago, due to COVID stay at home angst, a local cruise Main Street started. Great idea! Right? What a safe way to socially interact in a cool way. It started again a week ago here for the season. Now, downtown, with people on sidewalks, we have drifting around corners. We have Main Street drag races. We have some massive burnouts with sideways action in between cars in front and back and people on sidewalks. Cops? They, for some reason are keeping hands off and nowhere to be seen.

Two years ago on this cruise night here, before I realized the idiocy going on, I took the bird down. I had angry looking people staring at me wanting to race. Had a Mustang with a couple bubba's in it come alongside, pace me. So I smiled and gave a friendly wave, and they glared angry looks at me. It is a new mojo out there, and not for me.

Hot rods are about happy, cool, fun, brotherhood. This sheet is about ego, competition (misplaced), me, me, me attitudes, and bad vibes. Whatever..... I am a dinosaur. So I stay at my house in town and listen to 4 hours of racing, burnouts, crazy revving engines, twice a week, in the heart of town.

If this stuff is happening around events elsewhere (like it said was at your event) then there is a national problem. I think something bad is just waiting to happen at this wayward attempt at a cruise here.