Thread: Turbo 400 pq
View Single Post
Old 04-14-2022, 08:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ramairnacho View Post
DENIS ,
when you say low end torque does that mean the stall cover shifts a lower rmp? Im.still learning soi.apologise if I ask stupid questions? And if low end torque then what is power band range?
RANacho, No problem...I meant the engine being built for low and mid-range torque, like the original RAIII engine design with 10.5:1 compression (more like 10.0 with uncut heads) and the 068 cam. They have plenty of low end torque to blow the tires away off idle, even with a 3.07 rear gear (I would stick with the original 3.31 gears if they are still in the rear end...not worth the change in my book). If you plan on weekend racing it with drag radials, or small slicks, then you would want a convertor that would flash to 3200 -3400 rpm where peak torque occurs, so a 'tight' 10" convertor (like Cliff sells, or used to sell) would be the ticket with the high gears...but, I don't think you are going to do that with your Formula. If it's a fun street car/cruiser, like I think you are wanting, the stock convertor will be fine.

If you are going to enhance the engine with better flowing heads, hyd. roller cam, stroker kit, etc., then a higher stall convertor, like the aforementioned 'tight' 10" convertor would better match the higher power range. We would need to know your intentions for the Formula to make better recommendations.

If you have the original vacuum modulator on the PQ trans, and still in original operating condition, it is programmed to shift at 4800 rpm when left in 'drive'.

Dennis

The Following User Says Thank You to SD455DJ For This Useful Post: