View Single Post
Old 06-18-2021, 05:00 PM

Default '66 big car disc brake conversion

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6566Poncho View Post
I have the Scarebird FRONT and REAR disc brake kits on my 66 Catalina Ventura I am having an issue with the rear disc brake ebrake pad. I am using the recommended AC Delco rotor and the epad that Scarebird supplied. The ID of the rotor is 7.5". The epad is the basically the same size (10/100 less than rotor - leaves only 5/100 around rotor- seems like too small of tolerence-??). After test driving - noticed epad was totally dragging. Removed and inspected epad (on both sides) and the pad was chattered from one end to the other. Could barely turn the rotor by hand with the ebrake pad installed. I removed the epad and test drove and no problems with balance of setup. I contacted Scarebird and provided them with information they requested and they say all is fine and should be working without issue. No other remedy was offered. Has anyone else had an issue with the ebrake setup and have any possible solutions?

I have the Scarebird systems front and back on my ‘66 Catalina as well. I used the provided parking brake pads and cross drilled and slotted rotors I purchased off of Amazon. I did not have any problem with clearance or drag when adjusted according to the Scarebird instructions and they work great. It almost sounds like the material on the circular shoes you received are thicker or the internal drum in the disk is machined to a smaller diameter. Strange.

I have seen quite a variance in rear disk brake pad thickness. The first set I purchased from RockAuto fit ok (I did sand the inside pad slightly), but the friction material on the replacement set I picked up from NAPA and tried to mount was was way thicker and I couldn’t even mount the caliper over the rear disks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk