View Single Post
Old 06-12-2021, 01:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I think you might be correct that it would have to be altered to clear the inner fender. I'd like to have one to experiment with but I don't think I"m likely to find one. No sign of one on ebay past or present. I did find that a place called Franks had 3 of them but only sell it complete with entire outer shell and the inside box too. I don't want to pay their $275 just for an experiment. I'm not willing to put in the time traveling and searching wrecking yards either. Most wrecking yards don't keep cars this old anymore and this part is only on Grand Prix cars from '69-72.

So, I'm likely to get one of the van motor choices and use 10 ga wires for the ground and power feed and make sure relay doesn't add a voltage drop of any significance. My goal will be to see 14V at the motor with it running on high.

One thing I wonder about is why a noise suppressor was deemed necessary and used on these cars. I've heard these referred to as a capacitor but I'm pretty sure it's called a choke. I'm thinking that the new style motors with a permanent magnet don't need this. Plus, who uses AM radio anymore? I would guess it adds a voltage drop.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO