View Single Post
Old 12-16-2020, 11:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question for you guys ... this topic is very timely. Yesterday I go to start my 2011 GMC and it was absolutely, completely dead, I mean not even a dome light or dash LED.

4 days ago I drove it into town same as always, no issues at all. Temps have averaged around 30 degrees. Forgot to unplug my dash cam but that thing will run years on a car battery, have forgotten many times before no problems.

Battery is 7 years old ... so yes, pretty much garbage anyway (DieHard Gold), but I have never had a battery fail like this, from working fine to totally discharged in four days.

Only time I touched the truck in that four days was to change the gas cap that was throwing a code. I might have started it to see if the cleared code would come back, don't remember.

Anyway ... have others had a battery fail like that? I know the emissions system on this truck will sometimes do "things" after it's shut off, I've heard it, little whirring noises and such, barely audible. Any chance it did something like that and killed the very old battery?

Got the old battery on a computer type charger now just to see if I can diagnose any problem. Got a new NAPA Legend battery for it today ... after charging the old battery to get me into town ... which it did no problem.

I have no issues with replacing the old battery ... just wondering if something is amiss that caused it to discharge like that.
Thanks