View Single Post
Old 01-25-2020, 06:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My father-in-law owns a 1970 El Camino that he bought new. I met my wife (his daughter) in 1975, and the car has always had a vinyl top. About 20 years ago I was in his garage and he had the hood up, when I noticed the paint code on the data plate was 58 58. I told him his car was not built with a vinyl top. To this day, he still does not believe me, because according to him "I bought it right off the lot." The car also has aftermarket door edge guards on it. It was common back in the day for dealers to add options to make a little extra money.

On this Formula, maybe the dealer added the top before selling the car, or maybe the buyer saw a similar car with a vinyl top and liked it, so the dealer added it. Regardless, the data plate and PHS indicate the car was not built with a vinyl top. Way cool car either way.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Transamric View Post
Yes, the vinyl top app is a mystery to me. Why was it done? Maybe to hide wavy sheetmetal? That certainly could have a significant impact on how best to proceed with the project. Perhaps I missed a post, but do we know more about the vinyl top thing, like who installed it and how long ago?