View Single Post
Old 02-20-2005, 01:30 PM

Hi All,
My name is Jim Pettinato. I'm a long time 74 GTO owner and Pontiac enthusiast from Northeastern PA. At one point I owned 3 of these beauties, along with a bunch of other Pontiacs.
I'm looking for some advice on my car.

The '74 GTO that I still have, I have owned since aroun 1978. It was literally my first car. It was found abandoned in the back row of a used car lot back then, not running. I took out a loan and bought it. I since nursed it back to good health, installed a rebuilt 1970 vintage 400ci with many performance upgrades, new pistons, etc. Its a modified car, not bad modified, all bolt on stuff, but not a bone stocker by any means.

The car has been in my garage since 1979, I used to drive it all the time on weekends, sunny sundays, cruise nights, car shows, etc. About 10 years ago I got into road racing and sadly the GTO has become the forgotten child to my road race cars.

I am pondering selling it, not sure what the market is like on these cars.
Are they more valuable BONE stock?
Would something like mine be desireable at all?
I may just keep it,,, but selling it has crossed my mind more times than not over the past couple years.
It is a great car, I just never haave time for playing with it anymore. When the nice weather comes I'm off to the race track and the old girl just sits alot. I feel like someone might enjoy it, rather than it sitting in my garage.

I guess I'm looking for some advice or thoughts on these cars from people who know them. I love the car,,, If I sell it, I'd love for it to go to somone who actually knows these cars and understands how rare and neat they are.

I searched for 1974 Pontiac GTO and this site seemed to be the best for sure (16 pages of pictures wow).

If I were to sell it, what would you think I should do:
A) Try to get it back to as stock as possible?
B) Take the cover off, polish her up and try to sell as is with the go fast mods?

Mine is the "Fire Coral" color. Its an original hatchback, 4 speed car. Originally came with white interior, but I later installed a black one. I still have the white pieces that would go with it.

Anyone have any advice or input I'd love to hear it. If I am posting in the wrong area for questions like this, please aim me to the right area.
Thanks in advance.
Glad to be part of your board.
Cheers
Jimmy Pettinato
Scranton, PA USA