PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-72 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=436)
-   -   71 NOS GTO TAILLIGHTS ANY OUT THERE FOR SALE (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=873243)

muscle_collector 04-18-2024 09:27 PM

71 NOS GTO TAILLIGHTS ANY OUT THERE FOR SALE

anyone know what a set of nos taillight lenses are worth? i havent seen any for sale in a few years.

are the reproduction sets any good? can you tell the difference in them and nos originals?

thanks for your input.

Baron Von Zeppelin 04-21-2024 06:27 PM

I think about the only complaint on the repop tail lights is when they light up they are more "pinkish" looking .

Saw a nice 70 Judge convertible drive up the lane on a mecum or BJ auction show years ago.
When driver hit the brake pedal one side was red and one side was pink.
One original and one repop

I'm sure the same will be true for the 71 version too.

CDN2PLS2 05-09-2024 06:42 PM

what do you think an NOS Pair is worth??

Baron Von Zeppelin 05-09-2024 07:19 PM

At least double of a repop set , maybe triple.
Or auction them on eBay
Lotta guys get notifications from eBay whenever "NOS Pontiac" items get listed .

'ol Pinion head 05-09-2024 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Von Zeppelin (Post 6499378)
I think about the only complaint on the repop tail lights is when they light up they are more "pinkish" looking .

Saw a nice 70 Judge convertible drive up the lane on a mecum or BJ auction show years ago.
When driver hit the brake pedal one side was red and one side was pink.
One original and one repop

I'm sure the same will be true for the 71 version too.

Never have ran across a pinkish glow from the repro '70-72 taillight lenses.. What one will run across with the JoeParts repro's are lenses that were molded slightly too short on the inboard side, this leaves a wider gap than stock between the lense & the bumper. On a driver/local showcar, perfectly fine, the ribs on the '71 GTO taillight lenses are so fragile, even the repro's will be hard pressed to hold up on a driver. Drivers get repro's.

As far as lense color differences go, over the years I've purchased all three styles of NOS '70-72 Pontiac Abody taillight lenses. Most of them, the red lense was bright red. There were also a few that while NOS, in the box, the red was more of a darker almost maroon shade. In one case, I've mated up one of those darker near maroon colored nos lenses with a perfect used taillight lense that has been polished.

Pricing... flawless bright red NOS '71 "GTO" tail lamp lenses, I'd put the value at more than "3 times" the price of the Joe Parts repro's. Flawless nos '70 "GTO" lenses, QUITE a bit more.

Scarebird 05-09-2024 10:01 PM

My 71 has good tail lights, but I swapped them out for a set of 72's as it is easier to clean without the ribs.