PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   67-69 Firebird TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=432)
-   -   1969 Firebird convertible color (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=871421)

69f bird 01-18-2024 01:34 PM

1969 Firebird convertible color

2 Attachment(s)
I've owned my '69 bird since '84. It was originally Mayfair Maize, of which I am not a fan. It has parchment interior and a white top. When I bought the car, it was painted a non-original color, a bright red from Jeep.

I am having the body re-done and new paint. Is there a value to using an original '69 color? I was considering either Matador Red or Carousel Red. But I do like the Jeep red.

I certainly understand that this choice is entirely owner preference, and from a value perspective, returning it to its original color would create more value.

All input appreciated!

65madgoat 01-18-2024 01:55 PM

Well I am not a fan of resale red.... blue is great on a bird, silver even. Black unique.

But no more value on this car going back to that OEM color. And if anything I think going red hurts it too.

As you stated in the end, your car, your call.

I'd consider one of the shades of OEM blue, silver, white....

Cammer-6 01-18-2024 03:21 PM

think a little outside the box like burgundy or crystal turquoise

einstein 01-18-2024 03:35 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Black just doesn't work on a 69 convertible, especially with parchment interior. Silver is nice with black or blue interior. However, silver seems to create a lower value proposition for most cars of this era.

Crystal Turquoise, Burgundy, Midnight Green are stellar choices for parchment. Matador Red is a unique and rich red with hints of blue/purple under certain lights. Liberty Blue or Warwick can work pretty well too, or the Windward.

Carousel and Goldenrod are rich with either Parchment or Black trim, but too common for my taste.

Lastly, although they were specified as "Grand Prix" only, I really like any of those 3 1969 colors with Parchment.

I personally don't think the Parchment goes well with the gold, champagne, brown, limelight green, nor the cameo/mayfair colors.

65madgoat 01-18-2024 04:12 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Blue best for resale, looks great today, and perfect match with that interior and top I truly believe. Red is not the end of the world, but be sure to choose a color from the Pontiac color chart for that year. Custom colors never withstand the test of time. Trust me.

einstein 01-18-2024 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 65madgoat (Post 6479092)
... be sure to choose a color from the Pontiac color chart for that year. Custom colors never withstand the test of time.

Agreed.

My 69 Firebird convertible was Limelight, black custom trim & black top. Sprint engine car.

We procured a gold leather interior, and not a fan of green, so the gold trim is most likely going to get Expresso Brown or Burgundy, but I'm still trying to convince wife that the Castillian Bronze is a great color.

Held for Ransom 01-18-2024 05:51 PM

I'm a fan of Liberty Blue or Midnight Green with the white top. Of course, Carousel Red too,

65madgoat 01-18-2024 06:53 PM

Carousel Red and white top and/or parchment interior looks like a creamsicle.....

68hotbird 01-18-2024 09:33 PM

69 Bird

1 Attachment(s)
I like carousel red and parchment but I really like crystal turquoise as well.

thews 01-18-2024 10:26 PM

Agree that it's whatever you want it to be. I really don't think changing the color makes that much difference on future value, unless it's numbers matching. Most repaints are red, because that's what most people thought would look the best. I'm a big fan of the off colors, like Champagne, Limelight and Antique gold. Also a big fan of Mayfair, just because you don't often see them.

https://www.musclecarsforsaleinc.com...rd-V8-Auto.jpg

OCMDGTO 01-19-2024 08:56 AM

I'd pick a 69 color that you like best, which is what I did. You've owned it for 40yrs, it's not like you're trying to paint and flip it. I agree Liberty Blue would look great but I might be biased.

Stuart 01-19-2024 09:07 AM

One thing to consider is changing color is expensive - it may save some money to stick with the existing Jeep red so you don't have to repaint door jambs, the underside of the trunk lid, etc.

limejudge69 01-19-2024 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stuart (Post 6479194)
One thing to consider is changing color is expensive - it may save some money to stick with the existing Jeep red so you don't have to repaint door jambs, the underside of the trunk lid, etc.

^^^^This would be the easiest/least expensive option. Matador Red would be a great choice, as it is a factory 69 color

69f bird 01-19-2024 12:57 PM

Thank you for all of the responses. The car is primed, blocked and ready for paint. The plan all along was a likely color change. I am leaning towards Matador Red.

north 01-19-2024 03:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
I'd definitely stick to factory colors for 69. Mayfair looks great on a 69 Bird but I prefer it with a black interior, same with gold or champagne. Matador is a beautiful shade of red and was quite popular on the GTO in 69 but for some reason was very uncommon on the Firebird. A great looking color on a 69 Fbird ragtop with white guts is Carousel Red (Judge color) and I'm saying that as someone who doesn't like the color in general but for some reason it really suits a Firebird.

Since you mentioned you were leaning towards Matador Red here are pics of a 69 Catalina I own that is still wearing its factory applied Matador (except for the nosepiece which is painted in the current interpretation of Matador-darker than factory). One in direct sun and the other in shade. It almost has a bit of pink in the sun but there is a cherry black flavor to it in low light.

Bill S 01-19-2024 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I saw a few cars in Hot Rod magazine back in the 80s painted Porsche India red, so that's what my bird got. Originally mine was Champagne, which looked like dull gold.
If not an all original car, go with what you like.

thews 01-21-2024 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill S (Post 6479291)
I saw a few cars in Hot Rod magazine back in the 80s painted Porsche India red, so that's what my bird got. Originally mine was Champagne, which looked like dull gold.
If not an all original car, go with what you like.

There's very sparse data on how many cars were Champagne. I have a 69 Firebird 350 HO Champagne convertible. There is data on 69 Camaros in Champagne, and it was the least produced with something like 0.5 %. So seldom seen, the color really looks sharp.

https://www.mecum.com/lots/506788/

https://images.mecum.com/image/uploa...1813802_1.jpg?

ScumOne 01-21-2024 05:34 PM

I'd go Palladium silver with that white interior, or Windward Blue.