PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-72 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=436)
-   -   Console removal (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=487595)

Held for Ransom 08-06-2006 11:18 PM

Console removal

4 Attachment(s)
Some people have asked in the past, "How do I remove the console from my 1970-72 A-body? It's an automatic".
Well, I decided to document the removal of a console and shifter from a '70, for you people.
Of course, if someone before you has done this already, bolts and screws and such, could be different.

1) Turn key to on position (you can disconnect battery, if you want). Or, disconnect rod at steering column and place car in neutral (blocking tires to prevent car from rolling). Notice the position of the button.
2) Carefully remove shifter button using a flat blade screwdriver or similar instrument.

Held for Ransom 08-06-2006 11:30 PM

4 Attachment(s)
3) Use snap ring pliers to remove upper snap ring. Or, I've had a little success using a small screwdriver and a pick.
4) If above step is too hard, some people have had better luck sliding the lower snap ring, located under the knob, down along with the knob and remove the upper snap ring when exposed.
5) Slide off special washer, knob and lower snap ring (you can leave on the lower snap ring, if you want).
6) Pry up on the console plate (you may break off one or both of the spring clips, very common) and remove.
7) Remove the three bolts using a 7/16" wrench or socket.

Held for Ransom 08-06-2006 11:41 PM

4 Attachment(s)
8) Remove two screws from console lid using a phillips screwdriver. Set aside.
9) Remove inner box. You have to push slightly toward the driver side, to clear the hinge.
10) Remove two screws and hinge using a phillips screwdriver (you can leave this on, if you want).
11) There are three screws to remove under the box, using a 5/16" socket. One goes through the floor and two go into a bracket, welded onto the floor.
12) There is also a screw located at the front of the console and uses the same 5/16" socket. The screw passes through a bracket, which is welded to the floor.
13) Remove console.

Held for Ransom 08-06-2006 11:56 PM

4 Attachment(s)
14) Remove ground clip of light socket from top of shifter.
15) There is a transmission shifter cable that has to be addressed. Pry off the clip where the cable passes through the shifter using a large screwdriver or similar instrument. Also, remove the clip and pin at the end of the cable, using needle-nose pliers.
16) Use a 7/16" wrench or socket and ratchet to remove the two screws that go through the floor pan.
17) Remove shifter.

BobDuncan 08-09-2006 10:23 PM

great post, thanks a million, I aint real amart, so the step by step and pictures really help. I am going to take it out this weekend, and it is nice to know what the insides look like before I start. AGAIN, THANKS FOR GOING TO ALL THE TROUBLE. Now I think I can do it without tearing anything up. Bob

71lemansvert 08-10-2006 12:17 AM

Great post!! I don't need it now, but will in the future. Thanks for taking the time to put it together.

70ra455 08-10-2006 03:28 PM

I must say that in all of MY PY board experiences HELD knows and shares his knowledge willingly with others in the hobby. Must be a great guy (and boy I wish we were friendly next door neighbors!!!)

Great post.

Aaron75 08-10-2006 04:50 PM

and in the internet world he looks a lot like David Arquette.

Held for Ransom 08-10-2006 07:44 PM

In the real world, he looks a little like me.