PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Pontiac - Street (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=418)
-   -   Filters w/shaker (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=812510)

Kevspontiacs@aol.com 12-03-2017 03:05 PM

Filters w/shaker

https://www.knfilters.com/mobile/mPr...px?prod=E-9233

I've been tinkering around with my 76 and finally put a block off plate in the air filter base where the snorkel used to sit. Then I got to looking inside the scoop and noticed that there wasn't a whole lot of room between the filter lid and scoop. So that got me to thinking and this is what Ive come up with. Was going to use it in place of my factory lid. I bought an $18 wix from O'Reillys. It will be here on Tuesday.
Anyone else do something similar??

Kevin

hal101 12-03-2017 03:22 PM

how about this one you can buy the filter sep

https://butlerperformance.com/i-2718...tegory:1234827

Kevspontiacs@aol.com 12-03-2017 04:17 PM

I like the filter on that but mine is still factory intake with Quadra jet, no drop base needed.
If my double stack filter idea doesn't work I may call Dave at Pro Touring F-body, looks like he's the one that makes them, and see if i can just get the filter and top

Kevin

cnc 12-03-2017 06:29 PM

4 Attachment(s)
I Run this setup, factory base and I modified the lid to fit the air cleaner....
I just push the filter slightly towards the firewall it's tight ...I also use them 70-72 wing nut shaker mounting not the big band clamp
I do have a very small gap at the frt of the assembly when it's together.....so would it work with a clamp MAYBE...???

hal101 12-03-2017 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnc (Post 5817283)
I Run this setup, factory base and I modified the lid to fit the air cleaner....
I just push the filter slightly towards the firewall it's tight ...I also use them 70-72 wing nut shaker mounting not the big band clamp
I do have a very small gap at the frt of the assembly when it's together.....so would it work with a clamp MAYBE...???

wow i like that one

77 TRASHCAN 12-03-2017 07:33 PM

Chris,
Job well done! gap at front doesn't really matter...

You doing anything this winter to your car/engine?
Jeff

cnc 12-03-2017 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 77 TRASHCAN (Post 5817308)
Chris,
Job well done! gap at front doesn't really matter...

You doing anything this winter to your car/engine?
Jeff

Thanks Jeff
I did that a little while back. I should have left the lid a little larger in diamater........can't remember when I made it....lol
Well........looking at converter change 10" 3200-3500
Torquewar is gonna be doin some engine stufff and converter change so might be able to run his 3200-10" Continental and see how it works with my combo....

77 TRASHCAN 12-04-2017 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cnc (Post 5817357)
Thanks Jeff
I did that a little while back. I should have left the lid a little larger in diamater........can't remember when I made it....lol
Well........looking at converter change 10" 3200-3500
Torquewar is gonna be doin some engine stufff and converter change so might be able to run his 3200-10" Continental and see how it works with my combo....

I wonder how the Old Faithful cam would do with your combo???

Torquewar 12-04-2017 09:46 PM

The filter system i have is the same as CNC, we actually both played with this idea one afternoon. I have a older butler drop base but we both used a used a conical filter with a cut down TA lid.
The filter is a Air-Raid. Think its 14 dia on the bottom and 10 top. I have a 1/2 spacer under the filter to raise it up to its max . When in the shaker its really tight with about a 1/8 clearance. The goal at the time was to get a big amount of distance above the carb. I run this on 2 different set ups. A quad with RPM and a T-2 with a 4150.
With mine i have 3 1/2 to the top of the carb. I run this at the strip and there are not any issues. This topic has been covered before and there are couple variations of making it all work .
If i could figure out how to post a pic......

cnc 12-04-2017 10:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hal101 (Post 5817303)
wow i like that one

Thanks ...

cnc 12-04-2017 10:03 PM

If i could figure out how to post a pic......[/QUOTE]. :rolleyes:

Kevspontiacs@aol.com 12-06-2017 08:18 PM

I picked the filter up on Tuesday. Wix # 46027. It just took just a little bit of trimming on the paper element to clear the sides of the scoop. Since the top was plastic, and I didn't think it was strong enough to hold everything in place, I bought a stainless 6 inch cleanout cover from lowes that fit the top mint.
Granted now I have two air filters to replace but it has to breathe WAAAAY better

Kevin

Lee 12-07-2017 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 535 tall deck (Post 5818541)
I picked the filter up on Tuesday. Wix # 46027. It just took just a little bit of trimming on the paper element to clear the sides of the scoop. Since the top was plastic, and I didn't think it was strong enough to hold everything in place, I bought a stainless 6 inch cleanout cover from lowes that fit the top mint.
Granted now I have two air filters to replace but it has to breathe WAAAAY better

Kevin

My local Autozone had the Fram version of that filter in stock. I actually tried to fit it on my '73 last summer, but just didn't have room. If I had cut back the filter in a few places it may have, but I did not like that idea.

SD73 12-07-2017 05:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee (Post 5818920)
My local Autozone had the Fram version of that filter in stock. I actually tried to fit it on my '73 last summer, but just didn't have room. If I had cut back the filter in a few places it may have, but I did not like that idea.

After seeing that part number I found the K&N equivalent (E-2933). They told me it would likely be too wide for my base K&N I am using which is E-1590. They did give me a part number that I need to check with some more and get some measurements. It's K&N 66-1202. It's sort of like the XTreme lid, but it has some height to it. The outer diameter is too large though. 15 inches if I recall. I've asked for the width of the inner lips just to see if it would have enough of a lip to set on the bottom filter. The air cleaner lid is 13 3/8 so it may be a long shot.

SD73 12-07-2017 07:32 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a pic of the K&N 66-1202

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...1&d=1512689410