PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   Members Helping Members (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=486)
-   -   Ram Radio Advice (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=855181)

Aluminum Chief 12-11-2021 11:30 AM

Ram Radio Advice

My 2014 Ram 3500 radio with bluetooth went bad, sent it to United in NY and they said they can`t fix it the board is bad but they can sell me a refurbished unit but it has to be programed to my truck at the dealer. What are my options here? If I buy a used unit I heard you need a lockout code and then they need to be programed at the dealer. Can I go aftermarket to avoid this bs? All I need is a radio with the bluetooth to fit my stock location.

Thanks KC

Formulabruce 12-11-2021 08:41 PM

Yes you can. The original radio may have some timer circuits in it that a aftermarket does not. This might be a power saver timer. A accessory timer shut off. Audio function of security or lack of seatbelt/ air bag.
All you need to decide is to use a remote mic ( roof console) or the tiny mic in the unit, further from your mouth, they often sound like a speaker phone to person on other end.

Goatracer1 12-12-2021 12:46 AM

When I bought my used 2017 Ram I researched replacing the base factory radio with a second hand up graded one and found for what was involved and the cost I was better off buying a good aftermarket one. There are some really nice ones out there.

Aluminum Chief 12-12-2021 09:24 AM

Radio

Thank you guys, looks like I will be looking into aftermarket to avoid the Ram dealership bs.

steve v 12-12-2021 10:37 AM

It's not just a Dodge/Ram thing. The cd player in my '04 Silverado quit working years ago so I bought a good used factory unit. Installed it and it went into security lock out immediately. It needs to have the bcm flashed to work in my truck & the dealer wants $100 just to do that. Thanks GM.
The radio still worked so I just put the original radio/cd player back in. :(

bluejudge 12-12-2021 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aluminum Chief (Post 6301873)
Thank you guys, looks like I will be looking into aftermarket to avoid the Ram dealership bs.

I would look on Crutchfield website. They usually have some options.

padgett 12-12-2021 01:43 PM

I'd check with M&R, they often have NOS deals.

BTW, if all you want is BlueTooth and an amp, this is a possibility.

Aluminum Chief 12-12-2021 09:06 PM

Radio

Thank You

tom s 12-12-2021 09:39 PM

Apple car play!Tom

Aluminum Chief 12-13-2021 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tom s (Post 6302065)
Apple car play!Tom

Thanks Tom but I don`t have an I phone, got an android.

unruhjonny 12-13-2021 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by steve v (Post 6301885)
It's not just a Dodge/Ram thing. The cd player in my '04 Silverado quit working years ago so I bought a good used factory unit. Installed it and it went into security lock out immediately. It needs to have the bcm flashed to work in my truck & the dealer wants $100 just to do that. Thanks GM.
The radio still worked so I just put the original radio/cd player back in. :(

that security feature came in around 1997 or 1999;
Basically (if I recall correctly, the radio communicates with the BCM to see if it matches the signature of the one the vehicle is supposed to have.
It put a dead stop to kids stealing radios.

There are get arounds - look on youtube.

Aluminum Chief 12-14-2021 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unruhjonny (Post 6302224)
that security feature came in around 1997 or 1999;
Basically (if I recall correctly, the radio communicates with the BCM to see if it matches the signature of the one the vehicle is supposed to have.
It put a dead stop to kids stealing radios.

There are get arounds - look on youtube.

OK Thanks

unruhjonny 12-14-2021 10:29 AM

I really like factory radios;
The speakers are tuned to match them, and you retain chimes (which the vehicle often makes through the stereo), and all the functionality (eg: steering wheel controls & blutooth).