PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   64-65 GTO Tempest & LeMans TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=429)
-   -   1964 interior question?? (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=872606)

grandam1979 03-17-2024 03:07 PM

1964 interior question??

Working on a 1964 gto for a friend my question is did all the 64 cars with black interior have the silver headliner with stars or was it optional? I got it in the shop today and was surprised to see this I have had this car here working on it a couple times and never noticed it. The reason it’s here is I’m cleaning up the interior some new carpet, door cards, and a few other things. Anyway the headliner has some staining in the corners and around the sun visors I was going to spray dye it black but I was thinking it’s was black with stains not silver.

64-3Deuces 03-17-2024 06:37 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by grandam1979 (Post 6492529)
Working on a 1964 gto for a friend my question is did all the 64 cars with black interior have the silver headliner with stars or was it optional? I got it in the shop today and was surprised to see this I have had this car here working on it a couple times and never noticed it. The reason it’s here is I’m cleaning up the interior some new carpet, door cards, and a few other things. Anyway the headliner has some staining in the corners and around the sun visors I was going to spray dye it black but I was thinking it’s was black with stains not silver.

I have a 64 GTO PHS documented. It has black interior with the silver star pattern headliner. Bought the car in 69 as all original and is a Pontiac plant build. The PHS option list makes no mention of an “optional” headliner. My interior is apart now but attached is a reference pic of a 64 survivor with black interior/silver headliner so that appears to be what was installed.

grandam1979 03-17-2024 07:53 PM

So did all 64 GTO’s with black interior have the silver headliner?

64-3Deuces 03-17-2024 10:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grandam1979 (Post 6492596)
So did all 64 GTO’s with black interior have the silver headliner?

All 64 with black interior would be silver headliner. 1-After my first post I searched for 64 GTO pictures with black interior and every one had silver headliner.
2-My 69 master parts catalog does not list a black headliner for the 64 Tempest series.
3- Previous thread on 65 headliner color and a post from John V. who is a guru on part numbers/applications/usage, etc. –from the thread “…Also saw that the '64 Lemans with Black interior used a Silver headliner and never used Black so the use of Medium Slate in '65 would have been a slightly different wrinkle on the same theme used for '64…”

Andre 03-18-2024 08:12 AM

Silver headliner with star pattern, not perforated like 65 and later. Its another one of those oddball 64 things. I wonder if it made the car any cooler during summer?

Baron Von Zeppelin 03-18-2024 11:06 PM

I think it was more of a night time attribute.
Women in compromised positions would be looking up and seeing a star filled sky (simulation)

bill ryder 03-19-2024 11:18 AM

:censored::3gears::thumbup::D

"Bill"!