PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   69-71 Judges only TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=434)
-   -   Window cranks color and seat knobs (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=851162)

rare4k 06-14-2021 07:03 AM

Window cranks color and seat knobs

What is the correct color for the window cranks and seat knobs in the 70 GTO? Clear, black, thanks, did they which from clear to black at one point or vice versa ?

Sent from my moto z3 using Tapatalk

Joe's Garage 06-14-2021 12:54 PM

I'm pretty sure the last year for black knobs was 1968.

Every 1969 and up Pontiac we've had (and there were quite a few) had clear window crank knobs.

Most had aged to that gold color that is common on original window cranks.

rare4k 06-14-2021 01:03 PM

I just pick up a 70 it what threw my off it had black knobs on the seat adjusters and black window cranks, but like you said I've seen alot of clear with chrome seat adjusters.

north 06-15-2021 03:33 PM

68 and 67 were color keyed I believe. 69 through the early 70's were clear but they had a gold tinge even when new. However they do tend to get darker with age. The clear ones without the gold tinge are from later years and are incorrect for the 69-72 cars.

Ram Air IV Jack 06-15-2021 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by north (Post 6257756)
68 and 67 were color keyed I believe. 69 through the early 70's were clear but they had a gold tinge even when new. However they do tend to get darker with age. The clear ones without the gold tinge are from later years and are incorrect for the 69-72 cars.

Joe's Garage is correct. Originally the 69-72 window cranks were clear. The plastic with UV light disintegrated the material and turned it a golden color. I've seen the varying degree of color change in some original cars. The GM replacements were clear but have long been discontinued. If you can find them, expect to pay big bucks as this was a common problem.

rare4k 06-15-2021 10:16 PM

So black window cranks and black seat knobs are incorrect?

north 06-15-2021 11:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Black knobs definitely not used in 69-72. For seat knobs in 69 they are chrome and window crank knobs see below.

I disagree about the 69-72 crank knobs. I have seen many NOS cranks on eBay still in the box still and they are gold tinged. Same with several survivor cars that were never exposed to sunlight.

Yes they do get darker in grubby cars, especially the drivers knob if they are exposed to grubby hands.

Later in the 70’s GM switched to really clear knobs and you still see them in late 70’s cars and they are still clear.

Attached is an NOS example on eBay now but I’ve seen many others over the years.

hawkins69 07-04-2021 10:54 AM

In my experience, black seat knobs replaced chrome in 71

GTO.PAUL 07-13-2021 10:31 AM

Seat Knobs

The black seat adjuster knob was used in the later part of 1970. Still need to zero in on the "when". Pontiac 10 B -chrome, Baltimore 5 E- black. Check out my window crank article in the Legend. You will see the correct and later GM design. The window crank knob did NOT have a real chrome look to it (like many repo variations) and the outer covering did have an opaque slightly goldish tint to them which did turn more golden when exposed to the sun. Paul

Ram Air IV Jack 07-14-2021 01:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTO.PAUL (Post 6264142)
The black seat adjuster knob was used in the later part of 1970. Still need to zero in on the "when". Pontiac 10 B -chrome, Baltimore 5 E- black. Check out my window crank article in the Legend. You will see the correct and later GM design. The window crank knob did NOT have a real chrome look to it (like many repo variations) and the outer covering did have an opaque slightly goldish tint to them which did turn more golden when exposed to the sun. Paul

The originals were clear and had no tint to them. I read your article and looked at the window cranks you had pictured. Looked clear to me with the part numbers on the back. Slight goldish tint would look horrible against some of the interior colors Pontiac offered back then. Clear was more logical because it matched well with any interior color. The plastic in those knobs broke down with age and with being in the sun turning them a golden color. The replacements were made of a better plastic and didn't have that issue. That is it....