PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together

PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/index.php)
-   70-73 Firebird & TA TECH (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=437)
-   -   Welting...My Latest Curiosity (https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=787665)

skunkwerks 03-30-2016 11:35 AM

price is easy for the product

150.00 a set?
I would pay way more just for the hassel reduction of painting these. They have to be sanded and flex primed then painted to stick. Very tedious work to do it right. Then they are still not the correct look of originals.

Put me down for 3 white and 2 lucy blue.

Good work on a much needed part.

71HO4SPD 03-30-2016 08:07 PM

welting

Depending on colors that will be available, put me down for:
Lucy blue, black, cameo or polar, silver.

FunctionalShaker 04-04-2016 09:27 AM

I think you'd have plenty of takers for Lucerne and Polar, as plenty of guys here have them. I need a set of each.

hiyabradHO 04-05-2016 11:50 PM

I'm in for Cameo White

wizard61 04-25-2016 02:19 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Here's a little update....

The tooling modification has been completed and the first sample run delivered. It looks pretty good to me. I have one dimension that varied more than I wanted, but it is an internal dimension and since according to Steve at MMM, these get attached with an adhesive and a staple, it may not be a big deal. I have sent a sample up to Steve to determine if this will be a problem or not.

In the photo below the original sample is on the left and the new sample is on the right. Let me know what you think?

James

Transamric 04-25-2016 02:50 PM

How is the flexibility compared to good original welting?

wizard61 04-25-2016 03:21 PM

I feel it is comparable to maybe slightly more flexible. Please understand that I was dealing with a 40+ year old sample to begin with, but it had been in its box the entire time. For what it's worth, Steve liked the flexibility and durometer of the samples I have provided. I hope he chimes in here when he gets a chance to look at the latest sample. He should have it tomorrow.

Thanks,

James

RamAir 04-25-2016 03:24 PM

looks good to me. How were they attached originally I wonder

critter 04-25-2016 03:52 PM

Just saw this. I need cameo white. Will you PM us on when it's available or should we just stay tuned to this thread

wizard61 04-25-2016 04:04 PM

Hello Critter,

This is a viability test using Buccaneer Red right now. If it proves feasible, Cameo white is the next up. Stay tuned! If we head in that direction, I will try to remember to PM you.

Thanks,

James

critter 04-25-2016 04:09 PM

I'll go ahead and subscribe to this thread while I'm at it. Fortuitous timing for me as I'm in the middle of a re-work of my body and paint.

blue71ta 04-25-2016 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wizard61 (Post 5567256)
Here's a little update....

The tooling modification has been completed and the first sample run delivered. It looks pretty good to me. I have one dimension that varied more than I wanted, but it is an internal dimension and since according to Steve at MMM, these get attached with an adhesive and a staple, it may not be a big deal. I have sent a sample up to Steve to determine if this will be a problem or not.

In the photo below the original sample is on the left and the new sample is on the right. Let me know what you think?

James

Looks great! Keep us posted.

FunctionalShaker 04-25-2016 05:10 PM

It looks like the external point/edge adjacent to the internal difference is a little sharper than original as well.

wizard61 04-26-2016 08:19 PM

Functional Shaker,

It is slightly sharper than the original, but the sample on the left has a layer of adhesive still on it which tends to make it look even thicker.

Steve received the sample this afternoon late. He should let me know tomorrow what he thinks.

Thanks,

James

wizard61 04-27-2016 11:05 AM

5 Attachment(s)
Here are photos that Steve at MMM sent me this morning. He also may comment further at a later time. The photos show two NOS fender flares. The one on the left has NOS welting on it and the one on the right has the new reproduction. These photos give a good view of the color as well as the gloss, and the photos of the flares up against the car show the fit overall. Steve told me he was very happy with the product and figured it would save upwards of $300 to $400 per car over the gray welting that you have to paint.

I think it is a go, but I would like to hear your opinions as well. Thanks again for all your feedback in this process.

James

eaglesan13 04-27-2016 11:45 AM

James,

That looks nice. If the white turns out as nice, I would be buying a set.

critter 04-27-2016 12:20 PM

I'm in for white as well. Very nice.

72projectbird 04-27-2016 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by critter (Post 5568124)
I'm in for white as well. Very nice.

x3 I hate my current welting

FunctionalShaker 04-27-2016 03:25 PM

Looks great. Hoping you get to Polar white and Lucerne blue.

Red Goat 04-27-2016 03:47 PM

Brewster Green, please! I know this isn't going to be a really popular color, but I bet us Brewster owning guys would pay more for a set to help offset the cost... :D